Drama as Orengo’s security is withdrawn without explanation

A political storm is brewing after Siaya Governor James Orengo accused the State of abruptly withdrawing his security officers without notice, in what is likely to trigger fresh debate over politics, intimidation, and the treatment of senior opposition figures.

In a sharply worded statement released on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, Orengo claimed his entire personal security team together with officers guarding his Nairobi residence were withdrawn on Tuesday night under unclear circumstances.

“Yesterday evening, Tuesday, May 19th, 2026, a highly irregular and deeply concerning action was taken by the national security apparatus: the sudden, unprovoked withdrawal of my entire personal security detail, as well as the security personnel assigned to my Nairobi residence,” Orengo said.

“This was executed abruptly, without prior notice, official communication, or the provision of any replacement,” he added.

The veteran lawyer and politician insisted that security attached to state officers is protected by law and should not be used as a political tool.

“As a state officer, the provision of security is not a favor, a luxury, or a political privilege. It is a constitutional right and a statutory entitlement anchored in the laws of Kenya to ensure the safety, stability, and uninterrupted service of public leadership,” Orengo stated.

The governor directly challenged the Ministry of Interior and the police leadership to explain the controversial move.

“I categorically demand an immediate, formal explanation from the Ministry of Interior and National Administration and the Inspector General of Police regarding the basis of this decision,” he said.

Even with the dramatic withdrawal, Orengo maintained that his administration would continue serving the people of Siaya.

“However, we continue to do our work with enthusiasm and patriotism,” he stated.

At the center of the unfolding controversy is a formal protest letter Orengo sent to the Inspector General of Police at Vigilance House in Nairobi.

In the letter dated May 20, 2026, the governor described the withdrawal as “abrupt and unprocedural,” saying no explanation or replacement officers had been provided.

“I am writing to register my strong protest regarding the abrupt and unprocedural withdrawal of my personal security detail and the security personnel deployed at my Nairobi residence,” the letter reads in part.

“This drastic action was taken without any prior notification, formal communication, or the provision of suitable replacements,” he added.

Orengo further warned that the move undermines the constitutional protections granted to state officers carrying out official duties.

“As a State Officer under the Constitution of Kenya, the provision of security is not a privilege or a discretionary favour; it is a statutory entitlement designed to facilitate the execution of official mandates without fear of compromise or harm,” he wrote.

The Siaya governor also demanded the immediate reinstatement of the officers stationed at all designated points, including his Nairobi home.

“I urgently request an official explanation as to the grounds upon which this security withdrawal was authorized, and the immediate reinstatement or replacement of my official security detail at all designated stations, including my Nairobi residence,” Orengo stated.

The latest development comes amid rising political tensions within opposition circles and renewed criticism of the government by a section of leaders allied to the opposition.

By the time of publication, neither the office of Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen nor the National Police Service had publicly responded to Orengo’s claims.

Do you want to be published? E-mail info@thedailywhistle.co.ke.

Support Our Work:
You can support this publication via M-Pesa Till Number: 6166112.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the company.

Leave a Reply